There is an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus. The virus, first detected in China, has now been detected in over 100 locations internationally, including in the United States. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
How COVID-19 spreads?
- person-to-person spread: between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)
- spread from contact with contaminated surface
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?
- People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest)
- Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms
How easily COVID-19 spreads?
- The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in the affected areas.
Is there a vaccine? How to prevent illness?
- There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.